Daimler New and Used Parts and Accessories Quotation
Daimler New and Used Parts and Accessories
This article is about the Daimler brand and its owner the British automobile manufacturer The Daimler Company Limited. For other uses derived from the German engineer and inventor Gottlieb Daimler, see Daimler (disambiguation) For the two direct descendants of Daimler’s original enterprise, see Daimler-Benz (and its successor Daimler AG) and Austro-Daimler.
The Daimler Company Limited Daimler logo.svg
Fate from 1960 a division of
Abbey Road, Whitley
Coventry CV3 4LF
Successor(s) Jaguar Cars continue to use the Daimler name
Headquarters Coventry, West Midlands, United Kingdom
Key people Percy Martin
Products Motor vehicles
Parent from 1910 to 1960 The Birmingham Small Arms Company
Subsidiaries Lanchester Motor Company
Daimler Air Hire
Transport Vehicles (Daimler)
Hooper & Co
Barker & Co
Daimler Marque Daimler logo.svg
Daimler DE 36 “Green Goddess”, Hooper limousine (1949)
5½-litre 150 bhp Straight-Eight drop-head coupé 1949
Product type Motor vehicles
Owner Tata Group through Jaguar Land Rover
Related brands Jaguar Cars
Previous owners The Daimler Motor Company Limited (1896–1904)
The Daimler Motor Company (1904) Limited (1904–1910)
BSA Group (1910–1960)
Jaguar Cars (1960–1966)
British Motor Corporation (1966–1966)
British Motor Holdings (1966–1968)
British Leyland (1968–1984)
Jaguar Cars (1984–1989)
Ford PAG (1989–2007)
Registered as a trademark in not known
Flutes: Daimler’s traditional radiator grille topped by now-vestigial cooling fins adopted by 1905
The Daimler Company Limited, until 1910 The Daimler Motor Company Limited, was an independent British motor vehicle manufacturer founded in London by H J Lawson in 1896, which set up its manufacturing base in Coventry. The right to the use of the name Daimler had been purchased simultaneously from Gottlieb Daimler and Daimler Motoren Gesellschaft of Cannstatt, Germany. As of 2013, the brand appears to be dormant.
2.1 Simms and the Daimler engine
2.2 Simms plans to make cars
2.3 Simms sells out to Lawson
3 Daimler Motor Company (1896-1910)
3.2 Royal patronage
3.3 Fluted radiator
3.4 Sleeve-valve engines
3.5 Impact on British life and culture, 1896-1910
4 Daimler Company, owned by BSA (1910-1960)
4.1 BSA acquisition 1910
4.2 Transport of emperors, kings and princes
4.3 World War I work
4.4 Civil aviation
4.5 Commercial vehicles
4.6 Lanchester acquisition and badging
4.7 Mid-term review and outlook
4.8 Daimler’s semi-automatic transmissions
4.9 Royal Daimlers
4.10 World War II work
4.11 Brown’s Lane
4.12 Postwar decline
4.12.1 Consorts discounted
4.12.2 Lady Docker’s Daimlers
4.13 Turner’s engines
5 Daimler buses 1911–1973
6 Daimler Company, owned by Jaguar Cars (1960-1966)
6.1 Daimler 2.5 V8 and V8-250
6.2 Daimler Sovereign
7 Daimler Company, owned by BMH (1966-1968)
7.1 Sir William Lyons
7.2 Daimler in USA
8 Daimler Company, owned by British Leyland (1968-1984)
8.1 Jaguar’s Daimler-trained chief executive
8.2 Daimler DS420 Limousine
8.3 Daimler Sovereign, Daimler Double-Six
8.4 Continental Europe
9 Daimler Company, owned by Jaguar Cars (1984-1989)
10 Daimler Motor Company, owned by Ford (1984-2007)
10.2 Daimler Super V8
10.3 Daimler Super Eight
11 Daimler Motor Company, owned by Tata (2007-)
12 Other concerns of similar name
13 Current status
14 List of Daimler cars
15 See also
Some of the men who led “The Daimler” and some whose work gave special assistance.
The most notable men within Daimler’s organisation were: Instone, Martin, Manville and Stratton.
Gottlieb Daimler inventor of the high-speed petrol engine who lent his name to his friend and English agent, Simms
Frederick Richard Simms (1863–1944) 1890–1896 consulting mechanical engineer, Gottlieb Daimler’s agent who proposed this car business
Henry John Lawson (1852–1925) 1896–1904 company promoter, floated Daimler on the London Stock Exchange and started the business
Henry Sturmey (1857–1930) 1896–1899 journalist, Autocar and Motor, chairman of Daimler
James Sidney Critchley (1865–1944) 1896–1901 first works manager and a director
Ernest Martyn Critchley Instone (1872–1932) 1896–1899 son of director Thomas Instone, left to represent RAC in Paris
Edward George Jenkinson (1837–1919) 1898–1906 chairman of Daimler
Ernest Martyn Critchley Instone (1872–1932) 1901–1932 manager of Daimler, from 1920 sales Stratton-Instone Stratstone
Percy Martin (1871–1958) 1901–1934 electrical engineer, American-born managing director of Daimler and BSA director
Edward Manville (1862–1933) MP 1902–1933 consulting electrical engineer, chairman of Daimler and BSA
Undecimus Stratton (1868–1929) 1903–1929 courtier. sales Stratton-Instone Stratstone
Charles Yale Knight (1868–1940) 1907–1908 sleeve-valve engine
Frederick Lanchester (1868–1946) 1907–1930 consulting engineer, polymath
Dudley Docker (1862–1944) 1910–1944 industrialist and financier, director and deputy chairman of BSA
Laurence Henry Pomeroy (1883–1941) 1926–1936 managing director
Walter Gordon Wilson (1874–1957) preselector gearbox
Dr. Hermann Föttinger (1877–1945) fluid flywheel
Edward Henry William Cooke (1875–1951) 1937–1941 managing director of Daimler, director of BSA
George Hally ( -1975) 1941–1948 managing director of Daimler
James Leek (1892–1977) 1913–1957 managing director of Daimler and Cycles and Guns, director of BSA
Bernard Docker (1896–1978) 1939–1956 BSA chairman
Norah Royce Docker née Turner (1906–1983) 1949–1956 publicist
John Young Sangster (1896–1977) 1951–1961 BSA chairman
Edward Turner (1901–1973) 1957–1960 Daimler V8 engine designer
Eric Turner (1918–1980) 1 January 1960–1971 BSA chairman
Simms and the Daimler engine
Gottlieb Daimler’s railcars “tirelessly ferrying passengers around the Bremen showground as if by magic”.
Simms in his Motor Scout, in June 1899.
Engineer Frederick Richard Simms was supervising construction of an aerial cableway of Simms own design for the Bremen Exhibition in 1889 when he saw tiny railcars powered by Daimler’s motors. Simms, who had been born to English parents in Hamburg and raised by them there, became friends with Daimler, an ardent Anglophile who had spent from autumn 1861 to summer 1863 in England, working at Beyer-Peacock in Gorton, Manchester.
Simms first introduced Daimler’s motors to England in 1890 to power launches. In an agreement dated 18 February 1891, he obtained British and Empire rights for the Daimler patents. That month,
DMG lent Simms a motorboat with a 2 hp engine and an extra engine. In June 1891 Simms had set up a London office at 49 Leadenhall Street and founded Simms & Co consulting engineers. That month, the motorboat, named Cannstatt, began running on the Thames from Putney. Simms later established works premises at Eel Pie Island on the Thames where the Thames Electric and Steam Launch Company, owned by Andrew Pears of Pears Soap fame, had been making electrically-powered motor launches. The launch business rapidly gained momentum. Simms’ Daimler-related work was later moved into his new company named The Daimler Motor Syndicate Limited, which formed 26 May 1893.
Simms plans to make cars
Following the success of Daimler-powered Peugeots and Panhards at the 1894 Paris-Rouen Trials, Simms decided to open a motor car factory, possibly the UK’s first motor company.
On 7 June 1895 Simms told his board he wished to form a company to be known as The Daimler Motor Company Limited. The company would acquire both the right to use the name Daimler and the British rights to the Daimler patents. It would manufacture Daimler motors and cars in England. He detailed his plans to form The Daimler Motor Company Limited and to build a brand-new factory, incorporating light rail, for 400 workmen making Daimler Motor Carriages. That month, he arranged an agency for the Daimler-powered Panhard & Levassor cars in Britain. Simms asked his friend Daimler to be consulting engineer to the new enterprise. Simms later continued with his plans for the new business and new factory, selecting a six-acre site at Cheltenham.
At the June board meeting, Simms proudly produced the first car licence. It was for a 3½ hp Panhard & Levassor (later referred to as a ‘Daimler Motor Carriage’). Bought in France by Evelyn Ellis, who had three Daimler motor launches moored by his home at Datchet, it was landed at Southampton on 3 July and driven by Ellis to Micheldever near Winchester where Ellis met Simms and they drove together to Datchet. Ellis later drove it on to Malvern. This was the first long journey by motorcar in Britain.
In order that the Daimler licences could be transferred from Simms to the new company, all the former partners would have to agree to the transfer. By this time, Gottlieb Daimler and Wilhelm Maybach had withdrawn from Daimler Motoren Gesellschaft’s business to concentrate on cars and engines for them. Simms offered to pay DMG £17,500 for the transfer and for a licence for Daimler and Maybach’s Phénix engine, which DMG did not own. Simms therefore insisted that the transfer be on the condition that Daimler and Maybach rejoined DMG. This was agreed in November 1895 and the Daimler-Maybach car business re-merged with DMG’s. Daimler was appointed DMG’s General Inspector and Maybach chief Technical Director. At the same time Simms became a director of DMG but did not become a director of the London company. Those close to Daimler considered it ‘no mean feat’ that Simms had managed to obtain Daimler’s signature to the proposed re-amalgamation.
Simms sells out to Lawson
Investor Harry John Lawson had set out to use The British Motor Syndicate Limited to monopolise motor car production in Britain by taking over every patent he could. As part of this goal, Lawson approached Simms on 15 October 1895, seeking the right to arrange the public flotation of the proposed new company and to acquire a large shareholding for his British Motor Syndicate. Welcomed by Simms, the negotiations proceeded on the basis that this new company should acquire The Daimler Motor Syndicate Limited as a going concern, including the name and patent rights.
Daimler Motor Company (1896-1910)
Daimler 6 hp[note 2] twin-cylinder shooting brake 1897 example
Daimler 22 hp[note 2] 4 cyl. 4,503cc 45 mph as driven by Sir Thomas Lipton (1903 example)
On 14 January 1896 Lawson incorporated The Daimler Motor Company Limited. A prospectus was issued on 15 February. The subscription lists opened on 17 February and closed, oversubscribed, the next day. The Daimler Motor Company Limited bought The Daimler Motor Syndicate Limited as a going concern. Simms was appointed consulting engineer to the new business but was not to be on the board of directors, possibly because he had become a director of the Cannstatt firm. One of Lawson’s associates had for sale an empty four-storey cotton mill in Coventry which was promptly purchased for use as Britain’s first automobile factory. Another deal was concluded with Panhard & Levassor in which the Cannstatt firm would receive a commission of 10% on British sales.
In mid-1900 Frederick Simms, as a director of DMG, proposed a union between the Daimler Motor Company in Coventry and DMG in Cannstatt, but nothing came of the proposal.
1896 passed with car sales limited to imported Panhard and Peugeot cars. Aside from engines Cannstatt seemed curiously unable to supply ordered components or specially commissioned working drawings. Four experimental cars were built in Coventry and some (redesigned in detail) Daimler engines.
The first car left the works in January 1897, fitted with a Panhard engine, followed in March by Daimler-engined cars. The first Coventry Daimler-engined product made its maiden run on 2 March 1897. By mid-year they were producing three of their own cars a week and producing Léon Bollée cars under licence. Lawson claimed to have made 20 cars by July 1897 making the Daimler Britain’s first motor car to go into serial production, an honour that is also credited to Humber Motors who had also displayed, but in their case their production models, at the Stanley Cycle Show in London in 1896. The Daimlers had a twin-cylinder, 1526 cc engine, mounted at the front of the car, four-speed gearbox and chain drive to the rear wheels.
Known as Britain’s oldest car manufacturers, Daimler became the official transportation of royalty in 1898, after the Prince of Wales, later Edward VII, was given a ride on a Daimler by John Douglas-Scott-Montagu later known as Lord Montagu of Beaulieu. Scott-Montagu, as a member of parliament, also drove a Daimler into the yard of the British Parliament, the first motorised vehicle to be driven there.
In early 1900, Daimler had sold the Prince of Wales a mail phaeton. In 1902, upon buying his second Daimler, King Edward VII awarded Daimler a royal warrant as suppliers of motor cars.
In 1903, Undecimus Stratton met E. G. Jenkinson, the chairman of Daimler, when Jenkinson’s Daimler was stranded by the roadside. Upon seeing the stranded motorist, Stratton stopped his Daimler and offered assistance. Jenkinson was impressed by Stratton and by his motoring knowledge. At the time, Jenkinson was looking to replace the head of Daimler’s London depot, a particularly sensitive position because of the royal cars. Taking the position, Stratton soon found himself having to select better royal chauffeurs and mechanics. He quickly became an occasional motoring companion to the King. In 1908, through Stratton’s Royal connections, Daimler was awarded a “Royal Appointment as suppliers of motor cars to the Court of Spain” by King Alfonso XIII
and a Royal Warrant as “Motor Car Manufacturer to the Court of Prussia” by Kaiser Wilhelm II. Stratton also sold Daimlers to the Sultan of Johor. In 1911 he spent some weekends at Sandringham tutoring the new Prince of Wales on the workings and driving of an automobile.
In 1921 Stratton went into partnership with Daimler’s commercial mangager Ernest Instone. Stratton and Instone took charge of the Daimler showrooms at 27 Pall Mall, naming the business Stratton-Instone. Stratton died in July 1929 after a brief illness. His successors and Instone bought out Daimler’s interest in 1930 and renamed the business Stratstone Limited. The following summer the future King Edward VIII rented Stratton’s house at Sunningdale from his widow.
Every British monarch from Edward VII to Elizabeth II has been driven in Daimler limousines. In 1950, after a persistent transmission failure on the King’s car, Rolls-Royce was commissioned to provide official state cars and as Daimlers retired they were not replaced by Daimlers. The current official state car is either one of a pair which were specially made for the purpose by Bentley, unofficial chauffeured transport is by Daimler. Her Majesty’s own car for personal use is a 2008 Daimler Super Eight but she is also seen to drive herself in other smaller cars.
Since 1904, the fluted top surface to the radiator grille has been Daimler’s distinguishing feature. This motif developed from the heavily finned water-cooling tubes slung externally at the front of early cars and clearly visible in the photograph of the 1903 car to the right. Later, a more conventional, vertical radiator had a heavily finned header tank. Eventually these fins were echoed on a protective grille shell and, even later, on the rear licence plate holder.
Knight-Daimler engine, transverse section
Attracted by the possibilities of the “Silent Knight” engine Daimler’s chairman contacted Charles Yale Knight in Chicago and Knight settled in England near Coventry in 1907. Daimler contracted Dr Frederick Lanchester as their consultant for the purpose and a major re-design and refinement of Knight’s design took place in great secrecy. Knight’s design was made a practical proposition. When unveiled in September 1908 the new engine caused a sensation. “Suffice it to say that mushroom valves, springs and cams, and many small parts, are swept away bodily, that we have an almost perfectly spherical explosion chamber, and a cast-iron sleeve or tube as that portion of the combustion chamber in which the piston travels.”
Daimler 22 hp[note 2] open 2-seater
among the first of the sleeve-valve Daimlers (1909 example)
The Royal Automobile Club held a special meeting to discuss the new engine, still silent but no longer “Wholly Knight”. The Autocar reported on “its extraordinary combination of silence, flexibility and power.” In recognition of the design’s success the RAC awarded Daimler their coveted Dewar Trophy. Daimler bought rights from Knight “for England and the colonies” and shared ownership of the European rights, in which it took 60%, with Minerva of Belgium. Daimler dropped poppet-valve engines altogether. Sales outran the works’ ability to supply.
Daimler’s sleeve valve engines idle silently but when they left royal engagements Daimlers often departed in a just-visible haze of oil smoke. These engines had quite high oil consumption, oil being
needed to lubricate the sleeves particularly when cold, but by the standards of their day they required almost no maintenance.
Daimler kept their silent sleeve-valve engines until the mid-1930s. The change to poppet valves began with the Fifteen of 1933.
Impact on British life and culture, 1896-1910
UK’s first carport, Sutton Hoo 1910
In February 1899 a Daimler 6 hp was involved in the first motor accident in the UK to be recorded as having involved the death of the driver. A young engineer was killed when the rim of a rear wheel collapsed and the car he was driving collided with a wall on a sloping road in Harrow on the Hill. The engineer’s passenger was thrown from the car and died in hospital three days later.
The first house in Britain with a carport was constructed at Sutton Hoo, Suffolk, in 1910 for the owner’s Daimler.
Daimler Company, owned by BSA (1910-1960)
BSA acquisition 1910
Daimler 20 hp[note 2] open drive limousine for the Empress of Korea
Daimler 20 hp[note 2] open tourer
torpedo-style body (1913 example)
This business deal was engineered by F Dudley Docker, deputy-chairman of BSA and famous for previous successful business mergers. He later created the Metropolitan-Vickers combine. His son Sir Bernard Docker (1896–1978) became a key player in Daimler’s history.
Under an agreement dated 22 September 1910 the shareholders of The Daimler Motor Company Limited “merged their holdings with those of the Birmingham Small Arms Company (BSA) group of companies”. They handed in their Daimler shares for new BSA shares. BSA produced bicycles and motorcycles and rifles, ammunition and military vehicles as well as some BSA branded cars.
Immediately before the merger Daimler had a payroll of 4,116 workmen and 418 staff. The chairman of the enlarged group was Edward Manville who had been chairman of the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders – founded by Simms – since 1907.
Transport of emperors, kings and princes
Daimler, the choice of British royalty…
…and of Worthington’s India Pale Ale
By 1914 Daimlers were in the service of royal families including those of Great Britain, Russia, Germany, Japan, Spain, Sweden, Greece; its list of owners among the British nobility “read like a digest of Debrett”[who said this?]; the Bombay agent supplied Indian princes; the Japanese agent, Okura, handled sales in Manchuria and Korea.
World War I work
War was declared on 4 August 1914. It would last until 11 November 1918 and involve much of the world in the conflict.The military took normal production of cars, lorries, buses and ambulances together with a scout army vehicle and engines used in ambulances, trucks, and double-decker buses. Special products included aero engines and complete aircraft, tank and tractor engines and munitions.
Aero engines manufactured by Daimler included: the French designed Gnome Monosoupape rotary engine, the air-cooled V8 RAF 1. Followed by RAF1a, the V12 RAF4 and RAF4a, Le Rhone and Bentley BR2.
Daimler trained air force mechanics in its works and its training methods became the standard for all manufacturers instructing RAF mechanics.
Having its own bodyshop Daimler moved to building the complete flying machine and by the end of 1914 they had built 100 of the BE2c. These were followed by the BE12 and RE8. Their own test-ground beside the factory was compulsorily purchased and became the main RAF testing ground for aircraft built in the Coventry district. After tooling up for the FE4 raider bomber that project was cancelled. The last wartime aircraft produced was the DH10 bomber when they were building 80 aeroplanes a month.
The first special production in late 1914 were the power trains used in the Fosters of Lincoln made massive artillery tractors to haul 15-inch (380 mm) howitzers. As a result Daimler produced engines for the very first tanks ever built in 1914 (“Little Willie” and “Big Willie” or “Mother”). One major difficulty for the tanks was the fine oil haze above their Daimler engines which the enemy quickly learned meant tanks were operating nearby if out of sight! The early tanks weighed up to 28 tons. They were all Daimler powered. Modifications designed by W. O. Bentley upgraded output from 105 to 125 horsepower during production. Derivatives included a gun-carrier and a supply vehicle and a salvage machine to rescue broken-down tanks and heavy guns.
Daimler made more twelve inch (305 mm) shells than any other business in the country, 2000 a week. Each was machined from a 994 lb forging down to a finished weight of 684 lb.
Bentley BR2 aero engine
12-inch artillery shells
Daimler transport on the Western Front
Daimler-Foster 105 hp[note 2]artillery tractor
B.E.2f at Masterton, New Zealand 2009
Daimler lorry CB-type 40hp[note 2]
3-tonner 1915 Civil aviation
De Havilland DH.34
Daimler Airway livery red and white
After the Armistice it was decided that Daimler Hire should extend its luxury travel services to include charter aircraft through a new enterprise, Daimler Air Hire. Following the take-over of Airco and its subsidiaries in February 1920 services included scheduled services London-Paris as well as “Taxi Planes” to “anywhere in Europe”. In 1922 under the name of Daimler Airway services extended to scheduled flights London to Berlin and places between. Frank Searle, managing director of
Daimler Hire and its subsidiaries moved with his deputy Humphery Wood into the new national carrier Imperial Airways at its formation on 1 April 1924. Searle and Wood and their Daimler Airway machines formed the core of Imperial Airways operations.
In late 1920s, it, together with Associated Equipment Company (AEC), formed the Associated Daimler Company to build commercial vehicles. The association was dissolved in 1928 with each company retaining manufacture of its original products.
Lanchester acquisition and badging
In 1930 the bulk of Daimler’s shareholding in its subsidiary Daimler Hire Limited was sold to the Thomas Tilling Group and, in January 1931, Daimler completed the purchase of The Lanchester Motor Company Limited. The new Lanchester 15/18 model introduced in 1931 was fitted with Daimler’s fluid flywheel transmission.
Although at first they produced separate ranges of cars with the Daimler badge appearing mainly on the larger models, by the mid-1930s the two were increasingly sharing components leading to the 1936 Lanchester 18/Daimler Light 20 differing in little except trim and grille.
This marketing concept already employed with their BSA range of cars continued to the end of Lanchester and BSA car production. Some very important customers were supplied with big Daimler limousines with Lanchester grilles. The Daimler range was exceptionally complex in the 1930s with cars using a variety of six- and eight-cylinder engines with capacities from 1805 cc in the short lived 15 of 1934 to the 4624 cc 4.5-litre of 1936.
Mid-term review and outlook
Low-chassis Daimler double-six 50 hp
four-seater drophead coupé (1931)
by Corsica of Cricklewood
chassis modified by Reid Railton at Thomson & Taylor Ltd
By 1930, the BSA Group’s primary activities were BSA motorcycles and Daimler vehicles.
Through the whole life of its business, Daimler seemed to suffer from often truly crippling boardroom battles and intense personal rivalries.
It has been suggested Simms and Daimler soon withdrew from their initial association with Lawson because Lawson showed little potential ability for managing a manufacturing business. It was felt Lawson’s was an unsatisfactory group of people to be associated with. They were described by Frederick Lanchester as “the Coventry Company Promoting Gang”. Once relieved of Lawson, the next period, Sturmey’s chairmanship, suffered from the division between his supporters and his opponents. Sturmey departed in 1899.
Yet in the early 1900s, the achievement of a Royal Warrant and acquisition of some capable talent led to improved fortunes. Under the chairmanship of Sir Edward Jenkinson, an American, Percy Martin, a substantial shareholder and electrical engineer, was promoted to works manager and Ernest Instone to general manager. Jenkinson was succeeded in 1906 by Edward Manville, a distinguished consulting electrical engineer who was to become chairman of BSA. The involvement of the Docker family, father and son, beginning in 1910 failed to solve boardroom difficulties which transferred to BSA and in the end may have brought about disaster but in any case until the late 1920s the collective Daimler leadership did well and the business prospered. Its repute and its profits grew. “Side by side with an apprenticeship scheme which was as good as any in the trade, they had begun to attract pupils from public schools with such success that shortly before (World War I) there was a hostel full of them in a pleasant house in St Nicholas Street near the Coventry works.” During that war, the labour force grew from 4,000 to 6,000 men. The acquisition of Airco in February 1920 was a financial disaster for the BSA group, the blame since laid at Percy Martin’s door, and all dividends were passed from 1920 to 1924. Martin had been strongly in favour of its purchase with its extensive aircraft or motor vehicle production facilities near London and no one thought to exercise “due diligence”, which would have revealed Airco’s true circumstances.
All the quality car businesses experienced financial difficulties in the late 1920s. Daimler’s situation seemed[by whom?] particularly serious. Sales fell sharply in 1927–1928, a period of losses ensued and no dividends were paid between 1929 and 1936. The sleeve valve engine was now well out of date, Daimler’s production methods had become old-fashioned, they had an extravagantly large range of products. Their bankers noted the dwindling sales volume, the poor performance for price and the need for installation of up-to-date machine tool equipment. Stratton-Instone’s new dominance of distribution was removed and new outlets arranged. The interests in Singer and the Daimler Hire business were sold and Lanchester bought. The in-house bodywork department was closed and by the spring of 1931 car production ceased, only commercial vehicle production and aero engine work kept Daimler in business.
Laurence Pomeroy joined Damler in late 1926, at first working on commercial vehicles but from 1928 he worked at the products of the main Daimler operation. Pomeroy introduced redesigned poppet valve engines with the Daimler Fifteen in September 1932, developed new models of Daimlers, recommended what became the September 1932 introduction of the small BSA and Lanchester Tens with poppet valve engines to help Daimler survive the depression and according to Percy Martin these things rescued the business from total collapse in 1932. 1934’s new Straight-Eights were a personal triumph for Pomeroy.
With the 1930s, another gradual slide began. Manville died in harness in 1933, Percy Martin was forced out two years later, and Frederick Lanchester resigned as consultant in 1936. That same year, Laurence Pomeroy was not re-elected to the board and left for de Havilland. Ernest Instone had left the works in the early 1920s to concentrate his efforts on distribution (Stratton-Instone) but he too died, in 1932.
The staid Daimler was never a young man’s car. It might be smooth, silent and impeccable, but a Bentley or Hispano-Suiza was a great deal faster and more appealing to the adventurous. Most important of all, Daimler was not paying dividends and by 1936 BSA shareholders’ meetings were stormy. Attempted solutions had included the Lanchester acquisition and the introduction of smaller cars, the lower-priced 10 hp Lanchester and its matching but six-cylinder stable-mate the Daimler Fifteen (later DB17 and DB18) introduced in the early thirties. This particular product line as the Lanchester Fourteen and Daimler Conquest was to run through to almost the very end.
Edward H. W. Cooke attempted a revival and from 1937 introduced saloons with a freshness of design new to Daimler. The new products had remarkable successes in competitions and rallies. His policy was proved sound but another war, post-war austerity and yet more boardroom battles, this time in public, seemed to put an end to Daimler’s once-proud business.
Daimler’s semi-automatic transmissions
Shift lever Daimler Fifteen 1934 example
Daimler became a proponent of the Wilson self changing gearbox matched with Fottinger’s fluid flywheel further developed from Vulcan’s and their own patents. They were introduced by Daimler in October 1930 on their new Light Double-Six for an extra £50 and soon they were used in all Daimler vehicles. The chairman reported to the shareholders at their Annual General Meeting in November 1933 “The Daimler Fluid Flywheel Transmission now has three years of success behind it and more than 11,000 vehicles, ranging from 10 h.p. passenger cars to double-deck omnibuses, aggregating over 160,000 h.p., incorporate this transmission. . . . . it has yet to be proved that any other system offers all the advantages of the Daimler Fluid Flywheel Transmission. Our Daimler, Lanchester and BSA cars remain what we set out to make them—the aristocrats of their class and type. . . . We have also received numerous inquiries from overseas markets. (Applause)”. These transmissions remained in production until replaced by Borg-Warner fully automatic units beginning in the mid-1950s. Late in that period a new Lanchester model with a Hobbs fully automatic gearbox did not, in the end, enter full production.
A wide variety of engines were made in the earlier years. In an attempt to give some kind of indication of the complexities involved what follows is a list, by year of first supply, of the different engines in cars supplied to the King. In many cases a number of cars were supplied with the same engine and over a period of some years.
The first Royal car 6 hp 2-cylinders 1527 cc fitted with a “mail phaeton” body purchased by the Prince of Wales, 1900 on display at Sandringham All-weather tourer, Sydney NSW 1954 State landaulette, 1947 on display to celebrate the royal diamond jubilee Goodwood Festival of Speed 2012
1899 6 hp 2-cylinder 1.527 litres
1901 12 hp 4-cylinder 2.324 litres TA
1903 22 hp 4-cylinder 5.733 litres TB
1904 22 hp 4-cylinder 5.702 litres TB
1904 28 hp 4-cylinder 6.786 litres TB
1905 30 hp 4-cylinder 7.246 litres TJ
1905 35 hp 4-cylinder 8.462 litres TK
1905 35 hp 4-cylinder 9.236 litres TK
1907 30 hp 4-cylinder 4.942 litres TO
1908 42 hp 4-cylinder 7.964 litres TC
1908 58 hp 4-cylinder 10.431 litres TC
1909 38 hp 4-cylinder 6.281 litres TC
1909 57 hp 6-cylinder 9.420 litres TC
1911 23 hp 6-cylinder 3.921 litres TA
1911 38 hp 6-cylinder 9.420 litres TH
1914 20 hp 4-cylinder 3.308 litres TO
1914 45 hp 6-cylinder 7.412 litres TB
1920 30 hp 6-cylinder 4.962 litres TL
1923 45 hp 6-cylinder 7.413 litres TJ
1924 20 hp 6-cylinder 2.648 litres C
1925 45 hp 6-cylinder 8.458 litres N “The largest production car in the world”
1926 35 hp 6-cylinder 5.764 litres R
1928 30 hp 12-cylinder 3.744 litres V Light Double Six
1929 25 hp 6-cylinder 3.568 litres V
1931 40/50 hp 12-cylinder 6.511 litres OP Double Six, fluid flywheel, self-changing gearbox
1935 25 hp 8-cylinder 3.746 litres Light Straight Eight
1935 50 hp 12-cylinder 6.511 litres Double Six
1936 32 hp 8-cylinder 4.624 litres Straight Eight
1937 24 hp 6-cylinder 3.317 litres EL24
The production programme for 1930 encompassed six engine types and seventeen variants on seven chassis types. A substantial part of the programme had been completed and sold by November 1929. Orders held for 1930 were:
16 hp 1,180
20 hp 2,176
25 hp 1,735
35 hp 396
30 hp 236 Light Double Six
50 hp 74 Double Six
57 hp[note 2] 6-cyl 9½-litres
limousine by Hooper
private purchaser but as supplied to
King George V
32 hp Straight-Eight
24 hp (EL24)
IFS has allowed the engine to be put between the front wheels and the radiator grille to the front
24 hp (EL24)
six-light limousine coachwork by Windovers Limited
30 hp[note 2] Light-Straight-Eight owner driver
four-light saloon coachwork by Vanden Plas 1939 example
4-dr all-weather tourer
World War II work
War was declared on 3 September 1939. It would last until 15 August 1945 and again involve much of the world in the conflict.
During World War II, Daimler turned to military production. A four-wheel-drive scout car, known to the Army as the Dingo had a 2.5-litre engine and the larger Daimler Armoured Car powered by a 4.1-litre engine and armed with a 2-pounder gun were produced, both with six-cylinder power units, fluid flywheels and epicyclic gearboxes. These military vehicles incorporated various innovative features including all-round disc brakes. The Dingo was a BSA design, Daimler’s own design had proved inferior but the “Dingo” name was retained.
During the war Daimler built over 6,600 scout and some 2,700 Mk I and Mk II armoured cars. Tank components, particularly epicyclic gearboxes were provided for some 2,500 Crusader, Covenanter and Cavalier tanks. No complete aircraft as in the previous war but 50,800 radial aero-engines—Bristol Mercury, Hercules and Pegasus—with full sets of parts for a further 9,500 of these engines; propeller shafts for Rolls-Royce aero-engines; 14,356 gun-turrets for bombers including their Browning machine guns; 74,000 Bren guns—bombed-out that production had to be moved to a boot and shoe factory in Burton-on-Trent. Over 10 million aircraft parts were produced during the war. All this production is Daimler’s alone excluding BSA’s other involvements.
Daimler’s peak workforce, 16,000 people, was reached in this period.
After that war, Daimler produced the Ferret armoured car, a military reconnaissance vehicle based on the innovative 4.1-litre-engined armoured car they had developed and built during the war, which has been used by over 36 countries.
The original Sandy Lane plant, used as a government store, was destroyed by fire during intensive enemy bombing of Coventry, but there were by now ‘shadow factories’ elsewhere in the city including one located at Brown’s Lane, Allesey—now itself destroyed—but which after the Jaguar takeover became for several decades the principal Jaguar car plant. This acquisition, made by buying Daimler and getting a Coventry plant and its workforce, was a clever move by Sir William Lyons. Most motor industry members were forced by planning controls to expand in areas of unemployment without skilled operatives. Consequently they suffered lasting difficulties with quality of workmanship.
Postwar large cars
Twenty-Seven[note 2] limousine 1950
in May 2011 the oldest car in Sweden’s Royal Mews in regular use
Majestic Major V8
DK400 4½-litre 6
DR450 4½-litre V8
Lanchester Ten, body by Briggs Motor Bodies
Churchill, for many years a regular customer, did his electioneering for his first postwar election sitting on the top of the back seat of a discreetly fast and luxurious low-slung Dolphin two-door drophead coupé first registered in 1944. The government ordered new limousines for the top brass of the occupying forces. New straight-eights were supplied to the former colonies for the planned royal tours.
Foreign monarchs re-ordered to replenish their fleets. The 1946 golden jubilee of the founding of the business was celebrated with a luncheon at the Savoy.
However ‘austerity’ seemed infectious. The new Lanchester looked just like a Ford Prefect and its body was made in the same factory. A new model Eighteen with a lot of aluminium because of the steel supply shortage, a modified pre-war Fifteen, was introduced with technical innovations limited to a new cylinder head and curved glass in its side windows now framed by elegant chromed metal channels. Windows were ‘in’. The big DE27 and DE 36 models were the first series-built cars with electrically operated windows. Daimler ambulances became a common sight.
Then in June 1947 purchase tax was doubled—home market sales had already been restricted to cars for “essential purposes”. Petrol remained rationed, ten gallons a month. Princess Elizabeth took her 2½-litre drophead coupé, an 18th-birthday gift from her father, to Malta, where her new husband was stationed. The King took delivery of a new open tourer straight-eight in March 1949. In the commodities boom caused by the 1950 Korean War Australasian woolgrowers reported the new electrically operated limousine-division to be ‘just the thing’ if over-heated sheepdogs licked the back of a driver’s ears. The newest royal Daimler’s transmission failed again and again.
This schedule shows where what should have been Daimler repeat-orders went to. Daimler subsidiary Hoopers at least got to make some of the bodies.
Daimlercade President Eisenhower
Kabul Afghanistan 9 December 1959
Sir Bernard Docker took the extra responsibility of Daimler’s managing director in January 1953 when James Leek was unable to continue through illness. Car buyers were still waiting for the new (Churchill) government’s easing of the ‘temporary’ swingeing purchase tax promised in the lead up to the snap-election held during the 1951 Earl’s Court motor show. Lady Docker told her husband to rethink his marketing policies. 3-litre Regency production was stopped. In the hope of keeping 4,000+ employed the Consort price was dropped from 4 February 1953 to the expected new tax-inclusive level.
Stagnation of all the British motor industry was relieved by the reduction of purchase tax in the April 1953 budget. Daimler announced the introduction of the moderately sized Conquest in May (apparently developed in just four months from the four-cylinder Lanchester 14 or Leda with a Daimler grille). But somehow it was all too late. The image had changed. Even local royalty deserted for Rolls-Royce.
Daimler and Lanchester, there were no more BSA cars, struggled after the War, producing too many models with short runs and limited production, and frequently selling too few of each model, while Jaguar seemed to know what the public wanted and expanded rapidly. Daimler produced heavy staid large and small luxury cars with a stuffy, if sometimes opulent image. Jaguar produced lower quality cars at a remarkably low price and they were designed for enthusiasts.
The BSA group’s leadership of the world’s motorcycle market was eventually lost to Japanese manufacturers.
Lady Docker’s Daimlers
Blue Clover, her second show car
Golden Zebra 2-dr coupé by Hooper
Sir Bernard Docker was the managing director of BSA from early in WWII, and married Norah Lady Collins in 1949. Nora was twice-widowed and wealthy in her own right. This was her third marriage. She had originally been a successful dance hall hostess. Lady Docker took an interest in her husband’s companies and became a director of Hooper, the coachbuilders.
Daughter of an unsuccessful Birmingham car salesman Lady Docker could see that the Daimler cars, no longer popular with the royal family, were in danger of becoming an anachronism in the modern world. She took it upon herself to raise Daimler’s profile, but in an extravagant fashion, by encouraging Sir Bernard to produce show cars.
The first was the 1951 “Golden Daimler”, an opulent touring limousine, in 1952, “Blue Clover”, a two-door sportsmans coupe, in 1953 the “Silver Flash” based on the 3-litre Regency chassis, and in 1954 “Stardust”, redolent of the “Gold Car”, but based on the DK400 chassis as was what proved to be her Paris 1955 grande finale, a 2-door coupé she named “Golden Zebra”, the “last straw” for the Tax Office and now on permanent display at The Hague.
At the same time Lady Docker earned a reputation for having rather poor social graces when under the influence, and she and Sir Bernard were investigated for failing to correctly declare the amount of money taken out of the country on a visit to a Monte Carlo casino. Sir Bernard was instantly dumped “for absenteeism” by the Midland Bank board without waiting for the court case. Norah drew further attention. She ran up large bills and presented them to Daimler as business expenses but some items were disallowed by the Tax Office. The publicity attached to this and other social episodes told on Sir Bernard’s standing as some already thought the cars far too opulent and perhaps a little vulgar for austere post-war Britain. To compound Sir Bernard’s difficulty, the royal family shifted allegiance to Rolls-Royce. By the end of 1960 all the State Daimlers had been sold and replaced by Rolls-Royces.
Main article: Daimler V8 engines
Daimler SP250 (1961 example)
In 1951 Jack Sangster sold his motorcycle companies Ariel and Triumph to BSA, and joined their board. In 1956 Sangster was elected chairman, defeating Sir Bernard 6 votes to 3. After a certain amount of electioneering by the Dockers an extraordinary shareholders’ meeting backed the board decision and Bernard and Norah left buying a brace of Rolls-Royces as they went registering them as ND5 and BD9. Many important European customers turned out to have been Docker friends and did not re-order Daimler cars.
Sangster promptly made Edward Turner head of the automotive division which as well as Daimler and Carbodies (London Taxicab manufacturers) included Ariel, Triumph, and BSA motorcycles. Turner designed the lightweight hemi head Daimler 2.5 & 4.5 Litre V8 Engines. The small engine was used to power a production version of an apprentice’s exercise, the very flexible Dart and the larger engine installed in the Majestic Major, a relabelled Majestic. Under Sangster Daimler’s vehicles became a little less sober and more performance oriented. The Majestic Major proved an agile high-speed cruiser on the new motorways. Bill Boddy described the SP250 as unlikely to stir the memories of such ghosts as haunt the tree-lined avenues near Sandringham, Balmoral and Windsor Castle.
Daimler limousine DR450 1967 example
The two excellent Turner V8 engines disappeared with British Leyland’s first rationalisation, the larger in 1968 and the smaller a year later.
Daimler buses 1911–1973
Daimler CVD6 coach 1948 example
A significant element of Daimler production was bus chassis, mostly for double deckers. Daimler had been interested in the commercial vehicle market from 1904. In 1906 it produced, using the Auto-Mixte patents of Belgian Henri Pieper, a petrol-electric vehicle and on 23 May 1906 registered Gearless Motor Omnibus Co. Limited. It was too heavy. Following the introduction of Daimler-Knight sleeve-valve engines re-designed for Daimler by Dr Frederick Lanchester Lanchester also refined the Gearless design and it re-emerged in 1910 as the KPL (Knight-Pieper-Lanchester) omnibus, a very advanced integral petrol electric hybrid. The KPL bus had four-wheel brakes and steel unitary body/chassis construction. Failure to produce the KPL set bus design back twenty years.
Introduction of the KPL was stopped by a patent infringement action brought by London General Omnibus’s associate Tilling-Stevens in early May 1911 when just twelve KPL buses had been built. This was just after Daimler had poached LGOC’s Frank Searle and announced him to be general manager of its new London bus service which would be using its new KPL type to compete directly with LGOC.
Some of LGOC’s vehicles used Daimler engines. With the collapse of Daimler’s plans Searle, an engineer and designer of the LGOC X-type and AEC B-type bus, instead joined Daimler’s commercial vehicle department. Reverting to (before LGOC) omnibus salesman Searle rapidly achieved some notable sales. 100 to Metropolitan Electric Tramways and 250 to LGOC’s new owner, Underground.
First Searle designed for Daimler a 34-seater with gearbox transmission (the KPL used electric motors each side) very like the B-Type and it was introduced by Daimler in early 1912. The main difference from what became the AEC B-Type was the use of Daimler’s sleeve-valve engine. In June 1912 what had been LGOC’s manufacturing plant was hived off as AEC. Between 1913 and 1916 AEC built some Daimler models under contract and Daimler sold all AEC vehicles which were surplus to LGOC needs. After war service now Colonel Searle moved to Daimler Hire Limited and its
involvement in aviation. The Searle models were developed after World War I, but from 1926–8 Daimler entered into a joint venture with AEC vehicles being badged as Associated Daimler.
In the 1930s the Daimler CO chassis became the main model, followed by a similar, but heavier, CW ‘austerity’ model produced during World War II (100 with the Gardner 5LW engine (CWG5), the rest with the AEC 7.7-litre engine – CWA6) and in postwar years production worked through the Daimler CV to the long-running Daimler CR Fleetline, built from 1960 to 1980 (CVG5 and CVG6 had been a common type of bus in Hong Kong between 1950 to 1988 and Fleetline had also become a major type of bus in Hong Kong until 1995). Small numbers of single deck vehicles were also built. Many British bus operators bought substantial numbers of the vehicles and there were also a number built for export. The standard London double-decker bus bought from 1970 to 1978 was the Daimler Fleetline.
Daimler Fleetline 1968 example
Daimler buses were fitted with proprietary diesel engines, the majority by the Gardner company, of Eccles, Manchester, although there were a few hundred Daimler diesels built in the 1940s & 1950s, and the Leyland O.680 was offered as an option on the Fleetline (designated CRL6) after the merger with Leyland. The bus chassis were also fitted with bodywork built by various outside contractors, as is standard in the British bus industry, so, at a casual glance, there is no real identifying feature of a Daimler bus, apart from the badges (Front engined Daimler buses retained the distinctive fluted radiator grille top). The last Daimler Fleetline was built at the traditional Daimler factory in Radford, Coventry, in 1973. After that date, the remaining buses were built at the Leyland factory in Farington, Preston, Lancashire, the final eight years of Fleetline production being badged as Leylands. The last Fleetline built was bodied by Eastern Coach Works in 1981.
During that Jaguar-owned period 1960–1968, Daimler became the second-largest (after Leyland) double-decker bus manufacturer in Britain, with the “Fleetline” model. At the same time, Daimler made trucks and motorhomes. BMH merged with the Leyland Motor Corporation to give the British Leyland Motor Corporation in 1968. Production of Daimler buses in Coventry ceased in 1973 when production of its last bus product (the Daimler Fleetline) was transferred to Leyland plant in Farington. Daimler stayed within BLMC and its subsequent forms until 1982, at which point Jaguar (with Daimler) was demerged from BL as an independent manufacturer.
Daimler Freeline 1951 to 1964
Daimler Fleetline 1960 to 1983
Daimler Roadliner 1962 to 1972
Daimler Company, owned by Jaguar Cars (1960-1966)
In May 1960, the Daimler business was purchased from BSA by Jaguar Cars for 3.4 million pounds. William Lyons was looking to expand manufacture, wanted the manufacturing facilities and had to decide what to do with the existing Daimler vehicles.
Jaguar had been refused planning permission for a new factory in the area in which it wanted it to be. Daimler had shrunk to representing just 15% of BSA group turnover in 1959–1960 and BSA wished to dispose of its motoring interests. “Jaguars reiterate their previous statement that the production of the current range of Daimler models is to be continued. Furthermore, research and development work in connexion with future Daimler models will proceed normally. Jaguars deny
rumors to the effect that sweeping changes, including even the extinction of the Daimler marque, are to be expected. The company’s long term view envisages not merely the retention of the Daimler marque, but the expansion of its markets at home and overseas, it is stated.”
Paul Skilleter, in his book “Jaguar saloon cars” states that Jaguar put a Daimler 4.5L V8 in a Mark X, and it went better than the Jaguar version, achieving 135 mph at the MIRA banked track, even with an inefficient prototype exhaust. It is also said[by whom?] that when Jaguar ceased production of Daimler designed vehicles, Lyons had all the spares bulldozed into a pit.
The Daimler Majestic Major and the sporty Dart, already in production, were continued for a number of years, using the Daimler V8 engine. In 1961 Daimler introduced the DR450, a limousine version of its Majestic Major with a longer chassis and bodyshell and higher roofline. It continued in production until the DS420 arrived in 1968, by which time it had sold almost as many as the “Major” saloon.
They were the last Daimlers not designed by Jaguar.
Daimler 2.5 V8 and V8-250
Daimler V8-250, hybrid
Small Daimler V8 in a re-badged Jaguar car
the most popular Daimler (1968 example)
The last car to have a Daimler engine was the 2.5 V8 later V8-250 which was essentially, apart from a fluted top to its grille, different badges and drivetrain, a more luxurious Jaguar Mk 2. Its distinctive personality may have attracted buyers who would have avoided the matching Jaguar.
While this car became the most popular Daimler ever produced it had two remarkable characteristics:
buyers did not include previous Daimler owners but rather people trading up from the bigger Ford, BMC or Rover cars.
No-one traded their V8-250 for a new V8-250. This at a time when 60% of new Jaguars were sold in exchange for Jaguars.
Daimler Sovereign (1969 example)
The decision was straightforward, now there would be no more than a Daimler label for a luxury version of a Jaguar car. After discussion it was decided it would not be a Royale but a Sovereign.
Daimler Company, owned by BMH (1966-1968)
Jaguar was taken over by British Motor Corporation (BMC), the new masters of badge-engineering, in 1966 and a few months later BMC was renamed British Motor Holdings (BMH).
Sir William Lyons
Though Jaguar had diversified by adding, after Daimler, Guy trucks and Coventry-Climax to their group they remained dependent on Pressed Steel for bodies. Once BMC had taken control of Pressed Steel Lyons felt compelled to submit to the BMC takeover. Lyons remained anxious to see that Jaguar maintained its own identity and came to resent the association with British Leyland. He
was delighted by Sir John Egan’s accomplishments and by the new independence arranged in 1984.
Daimler in USA
At this point, 1967, British Leyland’s New York advertising agency advised and it was accepted that there was insufficient in the group advertising budget to cope with maintaining the marketing of the Daimler brand in USA.
USA readers may be interested in the 2009 decision of Administrative Trademark Judges Hairston, Walters and Zervas.
Daimler Company, owned by British Leyland (1968-1984)
Jaguar’s Daimler-trained chief executive
Lofty England, a Daimler apprentice 1927–1932, joined Jaguar in 1946.
Service manager, Jaguar Cars 1946–56, service director 1956–61, assistant managing director 1961–66, deputy managing director 1966–67, joint managing director 1967–68, deputy chairman 1968–72, chairman and chief executive 1972–74.
Daimler DS420 Limousine
Daimler DS420 Limousine a heavily modified Jaguar Mk X
The Daimler DS420 Limousine introduced in 1968 and withdrawn from production in 1992 employed a strengthened Mk X Jaguar unitary carcass with a new roof and a rear extension—21 inches were let in to the floor pan behind the front seat by Rubery Owen. Finishing from the bare metal was carried out by Vanden Plas who had lost their Princess. The floor pan with mechanicals—a drive-away chassis— was also sold for specialised bodywork, mostly hearses. The very last hearse was delivered on 9 February 1994 to a Mr Slack, funeral director of Cheshire.
Though entirely a Jaguar the DS420 was unique to Daimler. These stately limousines, wedding and funeral cars and the hearses made by independent coachbuilders, their majestic bulk preceded by the fluted grille, are now the way most remember Daimler cars.
Daimler Sovereign, Daimler Double-Six
Daimler Sovereign 4.2 SI (1972 example)
Daimler Double-Six SIII (1988 example)
These were the first series of vehicles that were badge-engineered Jaguars (XJ Series), but given a more luxurious and upmarket finish. For example the Daimler Double-Six was a Jaguar XJ-12, the Daimler badge and fluted top to its grille and boot handle being the only outward differences from the Jaguar, with more luxurious interior fittings and extra standard equipment marking it out on the inside.
Jaguar to Daimler ‘conversion’
The Daimler name was dropped in Europe for two or three years in the early 1980s. Jaguar adopted the Sovereign designation. The Daimler name returned in Europe at the end of 1985. Jaguar decided it would have its part of the fortune European dealers were making from importing conversion kits of Daimler body parts to convert Jaguars to Daimlers.
Visitors to USA found fluted Daimlers labelled ‘Jaguar Vanden Plas’.
The Daimler brand was kept going by the local fleet market, a chairman could have his Daimler and board members their Jaguars.
When the new XJ40 came into production in 1986 the series III was kept in production a further six years to 1992 to carry the big Double Six engines.
Daimler Company, owned by Jaguar Cars (1984-1989)
Daimler Six Europe specification XJ40 produced 1986–1994
Daimler Double Six Europe specification XJ81 produced 1992–1994
If Jaguar was not to follow Daimler into becoming just another once iconic brand it needed immense amounts of capital to develop new models and build and equip new factories. This was beyond the ability of the BMH—now British Leyland—Group. It was decided to market the Jaguar business by first obtaining a separate London Stock Exchange listing to fix a price then ensuring any successful bid for all the listed shares in the whole business would be from a bidder with, or with access to, the necessary capital. That bidder proved to be Ford.
1984 produced a record group output of 36,856 cars but less than 5% were badged Daimler. Two years later Daimler’s share had reached 11.5%—in fact almost 23% if the Vanden Plas for USA is included.
Daimler Motor Company, owned by Ford (1984-2007)
Further information: Premier Automotive Group
Daimler XJS, Coventry Motor Museum, England
In 1989 the Ford Motor Company paid £1.6 billion to buy Jaguar and with it the right to use the Daimler name. In 1992, Daimler (Ford) stopped production of the DS420 Limousine, the only model that was a little more than just a re-badged Jaguar.
When Ford bought Jaguar in 1990, the British press showed a coloured computer-generated image of a proposed ‘new’ Daimler car – not merely a rebadged Jaguar XJR. A webpage shows a project concerned with this endeavour.
Daimler remained the flagship Jaguar product in every country except the USA where the top Jaguar is known as the “XJ Vanden Plas” — Jaguar may have feared that the American market would confuse Jaguar Daimler with Daimler AG. Marketing of the Daimler name in USA had ceased in 1967.
Century Double Six X300
Daimler’s centenary was celebrated in 1996 by the production of a special edition: 100 Double Six and 100 straight-six cars, each with special paint and other special finishes including electrically adjustable rear seats.
X300 1994–1997 SWB LWB
Daimler Six 1,362 1,330
Daimler Double Six 1,007 1,230
Daimler Century Six 100
Daimler Century Double Six 100
The single 2-door 4-seater convertible built in 1996 to commemorate Daimler’s centenary and called Daimler Corsica was based on the Daimler Double-Six saloon. The prototype, which lacked an engine, had all the luxury features of the standard saloon but a shorter wheelbase. Painted “Seafrost” it was named after a 1931 Daimler Double-Six with a body by Corsica. Jaguar Daimler Heritage Trust have decommissioned it to operate as a fully functional road-legal car and it is on display at their museum at Browns Lane in Coventry, England.
Daimler Super V8
Daimler Super V8 X308
Daimler Super V8
1997 saw the end of production of the Double Six. It was superseded by the introduction of a (Jaguar) V8 engine and the new car was given the model name Mark II XJ. The engine was the only significant change from the previous XJ40. The replacement for the Double Six was the supercharged Super V8, the supercharger to compensate for the loss of one-third of the previous engine’s capacity.
X308 1997–2003 SWB LWB
Daimler Eight 164 2,119
Daimler Super V8 76 2,387
Daimler Super Eight
After a three-year break a new Daimler, the Super Eight, was presented in July 2005. It had a new stressed aluminium monocoque/chassis-body with a 4.2 L V8 supercharged engine which produced 291 kW (396 PS; 390 bhp) and a torque rating of 533 N•m (393 lb•ft) at 3500 rpm. This car was derived from the Jaguar XJ (X350).
Daimler Motor Company, owned by Tata (2007-)
At the end of 2007, the formal announcement was delayed until 25 March 2008, it became generally known that India’s Tata Group had completed arrangements to purchase Jaguar and Daimler.
Tata had spoken to the press of plans to properly relaunch England’s oldest car marque. In July 2008 Tata Group, the current owners of Jaguar and Daimler, announced they were considering transforming Daimler into “a super-luxury marque to compete directly with Bentley and Rolls-Royce”. Until the early 1950s it was often said “the aristocracy buy Daimlers, the nouveau riche buy Rolls-Royce”.
In 1895, the Daimler Motor Syndicate obtained from Gottlieb Daimler and Daimler Motoren Gesellschaft (DMG) the right to use the Daimler name and the British rights to Daimler’s patents. This is the sole link between the British and German entities. The Daimler Motor Syndicate sold these rights to the Daimler Motor Company in 1896, which was bought by BSA in 1910 and renamed The Daimler Company. Jaguar Cars bought the Daimler Company in 1960 and renamed it Daimler Motor Company in 1988.
Austro-Daimler bought similar rights from DMG to use the Daimler name and patents in the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Austro-Daimler was later absorbed into Steyr-Daimler-Puch. The automotive division of this corporation was eventually absorbed by Magna International and renamed Magna Steyr. The military vehicle division was renamed Steyr-Daimler-Puch Spezialfahrzeug GmbH (SSF) and was bought by General Dynamics.
DMG used the Daimler name on all its cars until 1901, when it began using the Mercedes name on some of its cars. After 1908, all DMG cars used the name Mercedes. In 1926, DMG merged with Benz und Cie to form Daimler-Benz. This name continued until 1998 when they merged with the Chrysler Corporation to form DaimlerChrysler in 1998 Upon selling Chrylser in 2007, the company was renamed Daimler AG.
The Daimler Company Limited, now The Daimler Motor Company Limited, is still registered as active and accounts are filed each year though it is currently marked “non-trading”. Until 20 December 1988 its name was The Daimler Company Limited.
All the Daimler shares were purchased from BSA by Jaguar Cars in 1960. After the introduction of the Daimler DR450 new models used Jaguar bodies with Daimler grilles and badging. Daimler remains in the ownership of Jaguar Cars which now belongs to Tata Group of India.
Before 5 October 2007 Jaguar, while still controlled by Ford, reached agreement to permit then de-merging DaimlerChrysler to extend its use of the name Daimler. The announcement of this agreement was delayed until the end of July 2008 and made by Jaguar’s new owner, Tata.
As of 2008, Jaguar’s use of the Daimler brand was limited to one model, the Super Eight.
List of Daimler cars
Some of the more well-known vehicles produced by Daimler and their factory catalogued variants by Barker and Hooper prior to Daimler’s acquisition by Jaguar in 1960 were:
1896 First Daimler Vehicle
1908 switch to sleeve-valve engines
1926–1937 Daimler Double-Six 30 (3.75-litres), 30/40 (5.25-litres), 50 later named 40/50 (6.5-litres)
1930–1934 Daimler Twenty-Five 20-30/25 3.6-litre six-cylinder sleeve-valve
1931–1933 Daimler Twenty LQ20 Q16-20 2.6-litre six-cylinder sleeve-valve
1932 switch to poppet valves for new engines
1932–1937 Daimler Fifteen 1.8, 2.0 and 2.2-litres, first return to poppet-valve engines. popularly priced
1933–1936 Daimler Twenty L20 2.7-litre six-cylinder ohv
1934–1940 Daimler Straight-Eight V26 26 hp 32 hp
1936–1939 Daimler Light Twenty 2.6-litre six-cylinder ohv
1936–1940 Daimler Light Straight-Eight E 3½ and E 4 all-alloy 3421cc and 3960cc
1937–1939 Daimler Twenty-Four E24 six-cylinder ES24 saloon and EL24 limousine
1937–1940 Daimler New Fifteen DB17 2¼ and 2½-litre
1938–1945 Daimler Scout (4wd 2½-litre) known to the Army as Dingo, made at J C Bamford Uttoxeter.
1940– ? Daimler Armoured Car all-wheel-drive
1946–1952 Daimler Twenty-Seven DE27 (6 cyl.) (prod: 255)
1946–1953 Daimler Straight-Eight DE 36 (prod: 205)
1946–1949 Daimler Eighteen DB18 2½-litre. (prod: 3355) New Fifteen with a Scout engine
1948–1953 Daimler Eighteen DB18 2½-litre, Sports Special Barker drophead coupé, Hooper Empress – owner-driver and limousine (prod: 608)
1949–1953 Daimler Consort DB18 2½-litre, (prod: 4250)
1952–1957 Daimler Regency DF300 3-litre, 3½-litre, or 4½-litre saloon, Sportsman saloon, Barker Special Sports Coupé, Hooper Empress – owner-driver and limousine. One-O-Four DF310 (prod: 560)
1952–1971 Ferret Scout Car
1953–1956 Daimler Conquest DJ250 and Daimler Conquest Century DJ256 2½-litre, Barker Conquest Century coupé (prod: 9620)
1955–1957 Daimler Conquest Century Roadster DJ254 and DJ255 (prod: 119)
1954–1960 Daimler Regina DF400 and DK400 4½-litre, (prod: 132) last Daimler car with preselector transmission, owner-driver and limousine
1958–1962 Daimler Majestic DF316 3.8-litre, (prod: 1490) a One-O-Four DF310 with different shape, BW automatic transmission, 4-wheel disc brakes. Owner-driver and limousine
1959 Daimler SP250 V8 (Dart, A-spec.) open 2-seater put into production as a drophead or convertible
1959–1964 Daimler SP250 V8 (B and C spec.) (prod: 2645, A B & C)
1959–1968 Daimler Majestic Major DQ450 V8 (prod: 1180)
1961–1967 Daimler limousine DR450 V8 (prod: 864) a nimble high-speed top-executive transport and the last true Daimler
1962–1969 Daimler 2.5 V8 and V8-250 used a Jaguar Mark 2 hull (prod: 17620)
1966–1969 Daimler Sovereign XJ16 with better finishes and Daimler grille and badges on a Jaguar 420
1968–1992 Daimler DS420 Limousine, successor to the DR450, a lengthened Jaguar Mark X hull with a completely new body
1969–1983 Daimler Sovereign with better finishes and Daimler grille and badges on a Jaguar XJ6
1972–1992 Daimler Double-Six with better finishes and Daimler grille and badges on a Jaguar XJ12 series I II and III
1986–1992 Daimler XJ40 new car and new engine as prescribed by British Leyland, the 1986 XJ40 Jaguar body could not accept Jaguar’s V12 engine
1992–1994 Daimler Majestic XJ340 wheelbase extended 5 inches (130 mm); 3.2- and 4-litre engines
1992–1994 Daimler Majestic Double-Six XJ381 6-litre engine. Intended to take 75% of group V12 sales
1994–2002 Daimler X300 and X330 body returns to a more recognisable shape. V8 from 1997
1996 Daimler Century limited edition: 50 V12, 50 straight 6; marking 100 years of Daimler Coventry
2002–2005 Daimler Super V8 X350 V8 engine, alloy structure
2005 Daimler Super Eight